RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nodd's Great Planes Spectra
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 03:52 PM
Nodd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using 5.5mm carbon-fiber for the wing rods. Although it's not indestructible I'm confident it's stronger than the spruce spar structure it's attached to. If this was a two piece wing with the joint in the center I'd worry these might be inadequate but positioned where they are, well out along the span, they're not under as much stress. I'm actually far more worried about areas of the center section failing, its been repaired numerous times & not very well at that. This is an old beat up gal, I won't be putting any crazy forces on her & if she does give, oh well. I expect those rods will be fine although I'm considering wrapping the rod-boxes with a little Kevlar to keep the spar from delaminating from the goop.

As far as the load spread, the first bay is solid epoxy pretty much, then from there we have 1/8" plywood sheer-webs either side of the spars running out to the second rib & then from there it's balsa & spruce. So there is some tapering of strength, it's not a totally abrupt change.

Now granted this wing is longer so experiences more stress but bare in mind the stock wing joint in this section consisted of just two dinky pieces of 1/32" plywood dihedral brace. This is a pretty lightweight airframe, not meant for anything more than put-putting around. I think if you held this in your hand & felt how she feels you may not be as concerned. I don't want to jinx myself but I think she's fine, looks & feels good to me. I guess we'll find out though.

Last edited by Nodd; 03-31-2014 at 03:56 PM.