RCU Forums - View Single Post - K80 Menu parameters
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 04:22 AM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The comm cables were oriented correctly. Good news though, this evening, we got the Kingtech K80G running. First, as you guys suggested, I looked up the tailpipe and verified the igniter was working. Next, I reduced the RPM Preheat setting to 4,000 rpm because it's cold out. Next, I primed the burner for about 1.5 seconds. In doing so, I watched the fuel line and saw a couple bubbles advance about 1 inch. This is something I believe one must be careful in doing because it can cause fuel to pool. Then I initiated the start sequence and I could hear a pop or two. OK, so the igniter is working. At that point, I progressively increase the pump pw k one step at-a-time. At around 25, looking up the tailpipe, I could see a momentary circular pattern of individual flames. Had not seen that before, so it's moving in the right direction! Progressed up through 28 until it finally fired and tried to start but flamed out. The terminal now flashed a message "weak fuel". Well, ya coulda told me that before, I thought! One more tweak, 29k, and bang it started. Nice. 143,000 rpms, about 520 degs C. Felt like close to 18lbs thrust. I'll measure that tomorrow night. Throttle is quite responsive, but very non linear. I'll fix that by selecting a different throttle curve on the Fadec. The roar, and feeling of sheer power is quite palpable. I'm sure the neighbors thought the same thing. The start had a momentary burst of yellow flame about 1 foot long out the tailpipe. It had velocity, and went away. Is this a concern?? Is it a sign of incorrect settings? Maybe bumping up the preheat RPM back to 5000 would fix that, if the weather was warmer. I'll try that tonight. I'll also skip the burner prime. Makes me nervous and I don't want to have to do that. I"m hoping that the main problem was insufficient pump power k. Thank you everyone for the tips on starting this beast.