RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ruder size - Bashing a single to a Twin
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 05:09 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cool, there is no need to make out thrust adjustable unless you wanted to just experiment as I and to have it adjustable when working with others and introducing them to the joys of sustained single engine flight with a twin (or more)

To sustain flight on one engine there is going to be a very simple pilot reaction required but it is not intuitive and most pilots no matter how experienced will imput the wrong control. That most important reaction is the application of rudder into the good engine and lots of it, in most cases all the rudder. What most will do is use ailerons into the good engine (or aginst the direction of yaw) and this is the worst thing you can do and will promote even more Yaw into the dead engine.

Now the tendency is for most once they may have applied the rudder appropriately into the good engine they will simply let right back off the rudder instinctively and this is a killer. That rudder must be held an kept pinned into the good engine as long as power is maintained on that engine. This technique will result in skidding flight but fully controllable and actually easy just keep the rudder pinned and use the ailerons to control all the turns.

Yes partial power reductions will result in need for the rudder but most find it very easy to simply keep the rudder pinned and drive the airplane around with the ailerons. Agine this is not intuitive and but works increditably well and if you think about it is very close to full scale technique not quite but close.

Now lets talk about how to identify which engine is out and believe me this is the most difficult part of all and the full scale pilots have it easy compared to what we have to do? I have used the expression 'dead foot, dead engine' thousands of time teaching full scale multi but that is useless of course for us. For me all the fellows I have helped with this is simply put as one word and that is practice and knowing how you airplane will behave with engine out senarios and at different airspeeds and power settings.

So how does one get this practice? Well here is the technique I used for myself and others and there is no need for independent throttle setups or complicated electronic systems. All of the multics I have done have used simple Y corded throttles and that includes many twins several triples two quads and one all the way up to six engines. The procedure is a simple one I call short tanking, simply filling one fuel tank only partially. Now by doing this for your first engine outs you will already know which engine is going to stop and it will give you the opportunity to think about before the flight and rehearse in your mind the application of the rudder and not the aileron. You will just fly a nice pattern with good altitude until the known engine quits and remember most engine stoppages very confusingly are not clean stops. Doing this on both sides is very beneficial and then working with someone else unknown short tanks should be practiced, that will provide the ultimate challenge and perhaps why we fly these wonderful multi's

John