RCU Forums - View Single Post - CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 01:39 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Corsair2013
Gary, I love your Powdered Steel - I made some molds and weights last night and today. They should work great.

Question- My Epoxy to steel ratio was about 8:1 - 40 grams resin/40 grams hardener to 650 grams powder.

How much powder can I add before the block not good and solid?

I told a couple of guys to contact you about the steel as they were going to use lead and I told them about your "miracle powder"!

Keith

Glad you like it Keith. Great use of the stuff as well.

Strength? Well, let me just say that I sold some to a tank builder that uses it to mold drive sprockets. For that use, you would want a very high ratio of powder to epoxy. Really, as long as it is 'wet', that is, there is enough epoxy in the mix to completely cover all of the grains of powder, it will have tremendous strength. If you want to drill and tap it, you will also want this high ratio mix. Now the application will have some bearing on the viscosity of course. For instance, if you are looking for a self leveling property as in the nose of you cowl, you will want less powder. A fairly thick paste will still have flow, if you use 20 min epoxy and give it plenty of time.

I have not renewed my ad on RCU for awhile but I will to make it easier. I also looked into an ad with RCSB as well. Might do that in the near future.

Thank you very much for your support Keith.