RCU Forums - View Single Post - OS 33GT Gasoline Engine for Pattern
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 09:27 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maustin
About ready for a test run to see how the mount holds up. Mount weighs 3.5 oz. Seems pretty robust.
Matt, are you still selling those fancy homemade couplers?? If so I'll buy some from you. Until then I'll bench run with some old aerotrend blue couplers I have.

Mike

Hi Mike,

It looks fine. Don't forget the extension. The reflector baffle needs to be 27" from the exhaust flange, following the curve of the header. I'm using about a 3 1/2" extension on my set-ups.

For trouble free operation, don't forget to install a couple small button head screws on straight exhaust tubes. Drill and tap for 4-40 x 1/8", at 3 places around the pipes. The header's bump works fine as is.

Yes I make the couplers available to any one or I can explain how I do it for the do it yourselfer. These cost 10 bucks each plus 5$ S+H. I use ceramic fabric (silica or alumina, good to 2000F+). Chances are good fiberglass or carbon would work great too, but I haven't tried it. Once the sealant is burned off inside, only the fabric is exposed and just works great for years now.. The aerotrend might last 10 runs, enough to figure out where the tune is. Start at 1 1/8 turn on the LS needle and 1 1/2 turns on the HS needle. Suggest you have a Dynatron handy until you learn what the beastie needs. Then, it's usually 1-3 flips.

I will post my latest wood carbon hybrid prop I just ran for the first time last Sunday. It's a 20 1/4" x 12" N, hand carved woodie with carbon cloth cladding. It produces a great sound, very subdued. And produces terrific thrust on an engine that isn't broken in yet. I run it at about 6200 rpm tops in flight. It never needs full revs which are about 7300.