RCU Forums - View Single Post - My FEJ story
Thread: My FEJ story
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 08:38 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Airplanes400
... Assume that every twin engine R/C plane cannot maintain flight with one engine out.
I'd say that's a safe assumption. Make a B-line for the runway would be what I'd do.

Originally Posted by Erik R
....Since we're off the subject, I've had engine failures on a Dash-8, A-320, and a 757. I think they all qualify as "real" airplanes. They all actually climbed very well, and the subsequent landings were uneventful.... .
Sounds like the above assumption doesn't hold very well for full scale. It probably helps that one is sitting in the airplane, not trying to fly it line of sight?

Originally Posted by bevar
When we were flying Luke's big FB twin F-15 I had so many engine failures in flight I lost count. Must have been in the neighborhood of 15 and it was never a big deal (twin Rhino powered).

I had a couple of engine out with the 1/6 F-18 and it's been no big deal either.

last month at Fl Jets, on my first flight with Luke's Tomahawk F-5 (and the 2nd for the new plane overall) I had an engine quit at rotation, PLUS the gear would not come up. I flew the entire flight on one single Kingtech 140...full fuel, gear down...and a 90 degree cross wind. The result? No big deal. Was it a ball of fire? Nope. Was it a handful? Yep. I just flew it within its current envelope for that flight and landed when the timer ran out.

Any twin fighter type will/ should fly fine with one shutdown, as long as you keep your wits about you and operate it within its engine out envelope. What is it's envelope? It's pretty easy to figure out...if the feedback the stick is giving you says "I don't like what you are doing" stop doing it and back off.

Beave
Beave, you nail it on the head man. You have to feel it. And you're a great pilot to boot! Dantley's a pretty good stick as welll!

And for the record, it seems like the twins you flew have engines very close to the centerline. My instinct would tell me to land. But I'm not that good a pilot.