RCU Forums - View Single Post - My FEJ story
Thread: My FEJ story
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 AM
SushiHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill
We are kinda hijacking Erik's thread, but this topic has been beaten to death all over RCU.

Get some twin experience of any kind and you will see what a handful they can be when an engine dies.

Full opposite rudder doesn't always work, full opposite aileron doesn't always work, etc.....

The closest thing I can think of for good training, other than a simulator ofcourse, would be something along the lines of landing your heavy wingloaded jet in a strong crosswind when you are using EVERY surface (including throttle as it becomes another "surface" on approach) to keep it in line with the center line of a narrow runway (like buttonwillow) i.e. crabbing it in.

After that landing, you will feel like you had a final exam in non-linear multivariable differential equations.

TRUST me, twins with an engine out are nothing to shake the proverbial stick at. The best you can hope for is that you are moving fast enough that air moving over your surfaces will keep it straight enough to fly and line up with the runway because the instant you get slow, it will flip on it's back and kill itself.

Go buy a gas or glow twin (P-38, B-25, etc...), electrics have been much more reliable, and fly one of those around. You will spend ~$1-2k vs $15-$25k. And I bet that $1-2k will still cause you to pucker up REALLY fast with an engine out.

Here is a P-38 with an engine out and the flip of death right around 1 min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBDLP4onEuY

Here's an A-10 were the pilot actually does a pretty good job handling an engine out after take off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mminECOwTk0

I tried to find more for you, but I got lazy after 6 pages looking on youtube for another A-10.

This is just something you have to live with when you're messing with twins!
Would aircraft with twins mounted inside the fuse be any different? I'm thinking planes such as 18's, 14's, 15, etc. with engines both mounted inside the fuse may be able to fly on one engine compared to aircraft with engines mounted on the outside of fuse such as A-10's, twins with engines mounted on wing.