Thread: My FEJ story
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bevar
Actually...AP does have a point.

I took my multi back in the '80s in a 150 HP Piper Apache. If I recall, critical engine out...all the other engine did was drag you to the scene of the crash because the S/E rate of clime was -50FPM.

That being said, any professional pilot who flys Transport Catagory Swept Wing Aircraft know that you do not use ailerons to help offset engine out performance like you do in recips/ straight wing aircraft. None of the 1/2 ball out, 5 degrees into the operating engine nonsense...that stuff is for girls...lol.

Lastly, American Airlines had 4,000 some odd pilots furloughed from 2001 until about 3 months ago and did not offer pilot positions nor were there even pilot recruitment operations going on from the fall of 2001 until the first new hires were welcome aboard at the end of 2013.Beave
Every jet & plane has it's own set of engine out procedures. I'd hate to think you guys flying commercial jets think corporate jets are for girls. Although we did have some of the hottest girls flying with us.

It's hard to believe that it was so long ago, but sometimes it's hard to think of the 80's and 90's as being 20 to 30 years ago. Damn, how did I get so old? It was in the mid to late 90's when I was offered the position at American. Also, it's hard to comprehend that American hasn't hired any pilots for 12 years. Somewhere, I remember an incident with American a few years back involving a pilot who was reportedly hired just a year or two prior. That would indicate American as hiring within the timeline you mentioned. I just can't imagine American not having to replace some of all those older pilots who have left within the past 12 years.