RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:44 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bradpaul
This whole discussion RULES/REGULATIONS/INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY/PUBLIC SAFETY is just a sub set of the much larger discussion in our society today. As such there is a very large political component to it liberal/conservative, right/left, individual freedom, it takes a village, etc. and like all political discussions neither side will convince the other.

IMHO the "true" commercial drone companies will embrace regulation as it will be a barrier to entry by the small guy. Is this good or bad ? Probably both. They will not be a problem.

IMHO the recreational drone flyer will remain outside FAA control, but that in no way limits the potential liability the pilot may have for being in idiot. And if outside of AMA (CBO) recommendations the pilot better have good homeowners insurance. The incidents of accidents, you tube videos of "look at me my drone is at 2000" will increase as more and more cheap drones are bought and flown. Unfortunately anything the AMA or FAA does will be "pi**ing in the wind". The only way enforcement could work with thousands (perhaps shortly tens of thousands) of drones being flown by individuals (adults and kids) is for the FAA to turn over enforcement to the local police. Too many drones too few FAA officers. Could it come to the equivalent of a traffic ticket for improper drone flying????.

What a "brave new world" we live in...........................................
I may like to add, though, that firearms far out-number model airplanes, yet they are regulated. One single component can fall under a government administration: A receiver, for example. Or, even a transmitter, just like the lower receiver on some rifles being the serial-numbered component, while the rest of the parts can be purchased without an FFL. That means, an airframe can be purchased from Tower Hobbies, but the receiver could require a license and background check, just like someone buying a lower receiver, wanting to build his/her rifle from components. Only difference is that this would be a model airplane/drone. Is something like this going to happen? Well, it is very unlikely. But it can if there was enough opposition to drones/model airplanes being flown in populated, or even rural areas. So who would regulate the transmitters or receivers, and enforce their registration? I doubt the FAA would have the resources, and it would likely be out of the ATF's jurisdiction. However, the FCC does regulate radio frequencies, and gives amateur radio licenses. If Chuck Schumer and Diane Feinstein were wanting to pull the plug on the hobby, then I am sure they could find a way and part of this may be going back to licensing radio operators, even 2.4 ghz.