RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC Surfer
Thread: RC Surfer
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 01:39 PM
YPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howzit Indatube .....as you say ...on a programmable radio the dual rate feature allows you to customize the throttle response / feel - and - the EPA sets your end point.... I would soften the throttle response using the Dual rate setting - some even offer an exponential curve setting.....so you can have it soft over the first 1/3 and then more aggressive as it climbs.....120 on the DR will give you the widest range of throttle between your set End Points (EPA).....100 is the stock setting.

Since my programable Turnigy suffered fatal death from severe salt air corrosion - I'm now using the very durable / basic HK 2 Pistol Grip - which only has one analogue throttle trim / adjustment - acting much like a dual rate setting and EPA all ion one - that is - when setting up the ESC via the radio- the MAX throttle point is set up when the throttle is held in, all the way....With the throttle trim knob turned right down - anti clock- one has a very slow /soft throttle response - as you dial it in - the throttle response becomes more responsive / aggressive. (shortens the throttle throw to flat out)

Depending on the surf conditions - I err more toward an initial soft throttle feel....I have consistently found, that when the throttle response is set on the aggressive side ( which ever way it is set up) the ESC;s LVC has a tendency to kick in that much sooner, compared to when the throttles initial response is set up softer. Must simply have to do with the 'draw down in the voltage spike on acceleration'..... an aggressive throttle setting derives a higher voltage draw down spike.... compared to a softer throttle setting.

Another reason I have come to like the HK2.... is the raw simplicity of changing the throttle set up - if I want it to be aggressive on a wave to pull a few Rodeo's or Tail Snaps - I simply reach for the throttle trim knob and dial it in - on the fly - I found with my programmable Turnigy radio and boating JR stick radio - I had to scroll through the menu to change the throttle DR settings - only the steering allowed an either or % quick selection.

Last edited by YPC; 04-15-2014 at 01:44 PM.