RCU Forums - View Single Post - WarbirdColors Paint
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 01:59 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thinned my paint approximately 40-60, water to paint, on my Stuka. I did not experience your problems. My lifting was over nonprimed, nonsanded metal.

My Stuka was painted three colors in 12 hours, with two colors getting masked.. the paint set up quickly, and stayed put.I would have absolute configdence in applying WBC on expensive airframes, like my Stuka .

I had no trouble spraying yellow and white over the green camo, when using stencils.. It covered in 7 coats, the same amount sprayed for the camo colors. I used aerosol automotive primer, with no associated adhesion difficulties. Masking was done with 3M fine line tape. You can see, in the attached pics, that stencils were used extensively on my airframe.

If you were even close to getting runs, the paint was applied too heavily. Patience is the key, when painting. Time must be taken to do a proper job. Light coats, especially the first ones. Then heavier coats can be applied. The last coat can be the more traditional "wet" coat. Applying heavy coats causes problems. The paint takes longer to dry, too.

I feel that your problems are coming from somewhere besides the WBC. Proper surface preperation, taping, spraying, and tape removal techniques must be observed. Failure in any one of these areas can cause the problems you have listed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01096.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	1987288   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01097.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1987289