RCU Forums - View Single Post - Glow driver?
Thread: Glow driver?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 05:17 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Fly Dat, I pretty much agree with the fellows and much prefer a twist lock type over the sleeve type connector So for the majority of my sport flying I just prefer the twist lock type on a single cell ignitor.

Using a power panel is something I will not use and even consider them dangerous, even worse when corded starter is used in conjunction with a corded ignitor.

Both the twist lock and the sleeve type connectors if abused can cause problems, The problems with the twist lock happens when the fellow get excited and forget to push down before twisting.

There is a third type as you can see in the photo and it is an ignitor alligator clip. Certainly not the alligator clips we used as kids but an intended for the purpose alligator clip. I think min came from Derrol Cady (you can google that name for info as he is a pylon specific supplier) I think maybe Radio South also had them.

The portable glow driver in the picture came from Radio South and is an older model of what they have now but work the same. This one uses four Nicd cells and uses electronics to instantly adjust the current demands of you glow plug. This helps to burn out a flooded plug.

John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Glow ignitors (1).JPG
Views:	157
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1987587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glow ignitors (2).JPG
Views:	137
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1987588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glow ignitors.JPG
Views:	146