RCU Forums - View Single Post - Masking Tape and Painting Help Please!
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FalconWings
My post was sarcastic, but this is actually the way I paint. I have plenty of ventialtion (which comes with its own set of requirements as in make sure the area is very clean!). I spray on the upstream side of the ventilation, and you can visually see most of the overspray dissipiating downstream. Then when I take the mask off I do it inside and put it in a plastic bag before storing it. If I ever need to use the very deadly stuff such as Deft.....I give it to an expert to handle it, though I've used it myself in "airbrush" volumes.
Then again, McDonalds and Texas water is killing me at a higher rate than Isocytes.
If you watch *any* of the car shows on TV these days, the pros paint in a booth with cartridge masks. Now their booths have a lot of air movement through them, but they are also spraying *a lot* more paint.

I have a plastic "tent" spray booth setup that hangs (and retracts) from the ceiling of my garage. When spraying I have an exhaust fan that pulls air out of the booth through a filter. Like your setup, you can see the overspray being sucked out, the side of the "booth" are pulled in, and the filter immediately changes color as soon as I start spraying.

This setup, along with a body suit, gloves, and a good fitting, *fresh* cartridge mask I think is OK. Also, as soon as I am done, I clean my gun outside the booth with the mask on and then leave the garage until the paint has cured. I also paint this stuff like maybe once or twice a year...

Bob