RCU Forums - View Single Post - Epoxy curing temperatures
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 04:04 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Now Dennis, you seem to be getting a little personal there bud. Tell ya what, lay up a couple piles of cloth between some mylar or plastic bag with your West Systems wonder epoxy and let it ambient cure for 24 hours. Check the flexibility. Then place in an oven set to 150 to 175 degrees for 2 hours, let cool and check the flexibility again. I don't have to guess what you will find out. I understand if you don't want to take the time to prove my point but if you choose not to then please leave the thread and let us teach something to the guys who would like to learn.

PS I love that movie........My hair, he shot my hair LOL
So it’s as I thought answering and solving the OP's question is not as important as hearing yourself from the top of the soap box telling the rest of us we are not worthy. Don't you ever get tired listening to yourself? For 99% of us the hobby shop epoxies do everything we need and more. Instructions are super simple. The West System gives more options and I use it because I am familiar with it. I don't consider myself any better or more knowledgeable than the next guy. I have nothing to prove I don't feel the need to feel superior. Your last post has nothing to do with what most modelers will expect out of an epoxy so it has little value to me or the real world of most modelers. An awful lot of expert modelers have written books and made videos on finishing models with glass cloth or laying up the odd one-of mold and using resin/glass/carbon to enhance the airframe. They explain it simply with readily available tools so that even the most basic modeler can achieve a modicum of success. On the other hand the information you throw out there has so little value for the average modeler because they don’t have the ability or want to attempt to duplicate it. That you are capable of using these techniques and have access to the equipment I think is great for you but of absolutely little value for what most expect for their applications.

For instance I have watched the university students who have no experience with epoxies, fiberglass, Kevlar or carbon fiber take the information from web sites and use that information to build a model that weighs less than 10 lbs powered with a Jett .65 that will lift 40 plus lbs in a successful flight taking off in under 200 feet and landing in 400. They design and build these things with the most basic equipment and minimum of knowledge and technique.

I hate to burst your bubble but this very exacting knowledge you think everyone must hear. Not so, try spending the time better explaining techniques that have value to the guy with no equipment and little knowledge. How to mix epoxies properly, storage, shelf life and what to look for when having problems that can be easily solved without all the bloody industrial equipment. How many people do you think own a vacuum pump? Guys are interested in how to lay the cloth so it stays in the corner. How do I make and use a one time mold for a cowl that’s no longer available. Where is a good place to buy supplies for my small needs? There are lots of topics, tips and tricks you can volunteer that many will actually make use of. Your last post, I cannot think of one modeler I know who would even have a need to attempt the process you describe. I ask what the relevance to modelers is in general when you go on about tools and techniques we will never encounter.

Dennis