RCU Forums - View Single Post - Master CP - Training Gear or No?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 06:55 PM
Hedgewarden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master CP - Training Gear or No?

I am a fairly good (intermediate level?) pilot of FP Helis. I have a Master CP that I wish to transition to.

I added training gear, and on my first "flight", trying to scoot around on asphalt, the heli immediately rotated over the forward training gear balls and sanded the blades on the asphalt. In retrospect, I had wiggled the cyclic to test tx-rx connection before trying to lift up - I since read that with FBL birds, that can leave the servos locked at limits - the swash was definitely tilted forward after I removed power. It was quite level when I tested it on the bench (with rotor power disconnected.)

On the second "flight", I discovered I had insufficient downward pitch when a gust of wind lifted the heli and tilted it to the right, despite my having pulled the throttle to min. I since changed the low end pitch on "Normal" flight mode to give a little negative pitch. The blades got a few tenths of millimeters shorter again.

The third flight, the heli wanted to tilt forward again, rotating on the the forward balls of the training gear. No contact this time since the additional negative pitch let me pull it back level on the ground, but I'm still not able to make a clean launch to a low hover.

On the test stand, the bird will tilt according to the cyclic just fine.

I am tempted to remove the training gear and move to grass - and let the crashes happen if the bird does not respond in Normal flight mode similar to an FP. At present, the throttle and pitch curves are set to some recommended "beginners" settings, with restricted ranges. Cyclic axes have no restrictions.

Eqmnt: Master CP and Devo 10.

Experience: WLToys V911, and V912, with which I am proficient enough to crash only when trying a new stunt, like flying through a box (V911) or the wind gusts and I lose some control of the V912 - which is almost identically the same size as the Master CP.

What are the thoughts about removing the training gear? Are CP helis in "NORMAL flight" mode REALLY that much different than FP helis? If so, how so?

Thanks for any help.
-Howard