RCU Forums - View Single Post - Poor Transmitter Antenna Positioning may Cause Lockouts
Old 04-20-2014, 07:21 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Although I don,t do jets I have done just about everything else with all of the major brands. When I started out 36 years ago getting a glitch or two during a lying session was pretty common. These days we don't get glitches, we get locked out and crash. I will agree with Andy as I had flown IMAC with Tony Quist for a few years and his installs were always top notch. It just may be a trend, not due to manufacturers but to how a region can develop a trend in installs and preferred equipment. Throwing a second party power box in there may add an unknown. I can say that after I started working in the RF field back in 1997 I have changed some things in my installs that I would have previously never thought an issue. I have seen antennas less then an inch away from a digital servo, receivers mounted on top of batteries, etc. I do all I can to eliminate any internal noise being generated from the airplane. Some things like running metal pushrods or pull pull cables next to long servo leads could cause an issue, not by it's self but add a few small things together and it can become a bigger issue. Jets are obviously complicated and carry the most electronics of any R/C aircraft and in some cases there aren't many options to how it's going to be laid out. In the end all you can probably do is the best you can and run very thorough range checks both with engine running and engine off and with the TX at all angles from the airplane. That type of range check has served me well with the big gassers. I have had situations where the engine off will get double what the manufacturer states as safe yet the engine running only gets half. One of those was fixed by simply changing the rudder pull pull from steel cable to Kevlar.