RCU Forums - View Single Post - Poor Transmitter Antenna Positioning may Cause Lockouts
Old 04-20-2014, 09:03 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
Ok, I'll say this.. one was Tony Quist's at Tucson. His new and professionally built Ultra Flash went in after a lock out right after takeoff on the 4th or 5th flight. Next, this weekend, I hear about the same thing happening near Phoenix with Brian O'Meara's Top Gun award winning P-47. Both lockouts. Both of these guys are sticklers for proper installations. The fella who told me about Brian's said there have been about 6 more in his club alone.
I believe both of these guys are Futaba Reps too btw.

I really didn't want to mention names, but since I was being called a troll I felt it necessary to mention. I by no means am trying to start anything. I would use Futaba any day of the week just like I use JR. Both systems are rock solid in this hobby. It's just very unusual to see so many lock outs so close together. I don't know the specific setups on either. Ask them. If they want they can discuss it. As it stands they will probably be hacked off for me bringing attention here.

Flame away, call me a troll or what ever. Sometimes it's good to share knowledge if it can benefit others.
Interesting. Tony frequents RCU, so hopefully he'll post some details about his installation so we'll have more to go on.

As I said though, I have hundreds (thousands?) of flights on various Futaba FASST TXs (9C, 10C, 12FG, 14MZ) and RXs (6, 7, 8, and 14-channel) without any problems at all. At the same time, one of the guys we fly with has 100% success with Spektrum - which we know many guys have had problems with.

Experiences with equipment vary, and its not enough of a trend to be worried about IMHO - although looking into it in more detail can't hurt. Hopefully those who've experienced it will give us the benefit of their investigations...

Bob