RCU Forums - View Single Post - Transmitter antenna orientation
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 06:26 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPMacG
Having two antennas on a transmitter makes no sense. Hooking antennas together in parallel creates a composite, screwed up radiation pattern with nulls and lobes.

Multiple antennas work on an airplane because there are mutliple receivers and a computer to decide which antenna to listen to at any particular time based on which is providing the better signal.

In order to use two transmit antennas to advantage the transmitter would need to transmit two separate signals (codes) with the airborne receivers/computer deciding which one to use. I don't think our radio systems do this.

Maybe the second antenna on the transmitter is the telemetry receive antenna?
-------------------------------------------------

JPM,
I will make guess that the RF signal alternates between the two Tx antennas.

It is my experience that all whip antennas have a null when pointed directly at the receiver or directly away from the receiver. I used to test my range by collapsing the Tx antenna , pointing the antenna directly at the model and fly out till I got a glitch. Then I would point the antenna vertical to recover control and if necessary quickly extend the Tx antenna. On my Royal Classic radio on 72mhz the model would be be farther out than I would normally fly when I lost control.

I am currently flying Weatronic and Taranis and as A10 says it sure is comforting the have the RSSI warning via telemetry which both my radios have.