RCU Forums - View Single Post - 49cc Scratch Built Buggy
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 09:10 AM
Perreault985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one way bearings were the means to an end as I was looking for something inexpensive that would fit the scale of the buggy. I'm not 100% sure how they are going to hold up nor how well they will work under full power. I can tell you they do work perfectly when the buggy is rolling around on the floor.

As you can see in the pictures above, the drive shaft is split in the middle and two one way bearings are housed in steel pipe with a sprocket mounted on it. The idea is that both wheels will be engaged as the vehicle is driving in a straight line and both one way bearings are locked under power. Once the buggy begins a turn, the outer wheel will begin turning faster and disengage the one way bearing allowing it to "free-wheel" around the corner. The inner bearing should stay locked under power and continue driving through the corner. If the inner wheel looses traction and begins spinning faster, the outer bearing should lock up again and begin putting power down again. I'm hoping it will be sort of a poor man's posi-traction. I've attached a drawing below for the sake of clarity.

I'll try to add some more detail about the build and include a my calculations and estimates for the for the scale size, weight, shock rate, drive ratios, etc. I'll also post a bill of materials showing how I kept to my $1,000 USD budget. I could also share my model in Sketchup and provide a link to it there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Diff 01.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1989278