RCU Forums - View Single Post - ***CUB BROTHERHOOD***
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 09:39 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Hargett
Thanks again, John. You raise some more good points, especially the size of the engine viz-a-vizthe space available in the cowl. For my World Models 1/4 scale Cub, I think I will probably go withthe OS GT22. But for my next project--a 1/3 scale Cub--it seems that the OS GF40 would be an excellentchoice. ACDII: Thanks for your comments. I am looking forward to the longer flight times with my 1/4 Cub,the chainsaw exhaust of the two-stroke OS GT22 notwithstanding!Cheers,Jim
I'm sure the GT22 will be more than adequate based on whats being said using the DLE 20... with 2.66 hp, should be plenty to pull a 14-16 lb aircraft around.... originally I had a Saito FA130TD (4 stroke twin) in my sig 1/4 cub... the cub weighed in a 16.5 lbs... the 130 produced 1.9 hp swinging a 16-6 propeller... it had plenty of power to fly the plane, but not quite enough to do vertical maneuvers... I put a CDI ignition system on it and stepped up the prop to a 18-6, and got enough pull out of her to hang her on the prop, but just barely... I'm hoping with the OS 160 CDI I can get a bit more performance out of it... when I'm finished with it, it should produce around 2.5 hp with a 18-6... I'm not looking for power to do 3D, just enough to pull up to do vertical maneuvers and to pull out of stalls.

A 1/3 cub with that OS GF40 4 stroke would be on the low end of the power scale; great for scale flying, but you'll need a bit more, like 100cc (4 stroke) on a 1/3 cub.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 05-04-2014 at 10:50 PM.