RCU Forums - View Single Post - Axiome 70EP Build Log
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 02:28 AM
danamania

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Ryan, I was rather hoping that others have also had a flight or two to add to your thorough build thread. I hope that I have not offended you in any way. Thank you for sharing your excellent work with us.

Ok, my kit arrived and I am delighted with my purchase. The fit & finish is truly the best of ANY ARF I have purchased in my years back in the hobby since youth. The included hardware is gorgeous and so right.

I already have my Hacker mounted, Ice 100 lite installed (both were on-hand) and pull-pull rudder set-up. Won't need that picture now LOL. That the exit slot is pre-cut under the covering is impressive to me.

Not sure if it will be ready for maiden this weekend, need to practice for the first contest of the season next Sat in Jackson NJ, but if it comes to pass, I will share my first impressions too. Sounds like I need to think about a pack location that allows me to explore the aft end of the CG range, correct? As for roll-coupling, what does the group recommend? Anyway, will have all season for trimming so no worries.

FLIGHT FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

Have half a dozen flights on the Ax 70 now. It's nose heavy, but flyable. I bought it because it is very nice and I had all the parts for it save the ARF itself. The plan was to use my old 5S 5000s that still have life in them, but are a bit too tired for the 2m ships. With one of these as far aft as it will go I can get a CG of 145cm, but still have too much up ELE trim in and all the indications of a nose heavy model. That said, I have flown it through 402 twice and some other fun stuff and it all works, just not optimum trim yet. Will switch to 5S 4500s soon to see if that helps me get a more neutral CG and a bit more upline performance.

Set-up is the recommended Hacker, albeit a V2; the nice white Xoar 15x8; Ice 100 lite (mounted as far aft as I can); the Futaba S.Bus servos that are a little smaller than mini servos and can fit in the little Hitec sized holes in the ARF with minimal dremel work LOL. The rudder servo is actually a full-sized Futaba servo that was on-hand and must be helping me with CG a little too.

If set-up with the recommended maximum throws, even the low roll rates are insane so dialed the low rate down a bit at the field! With the aileron linkages and programming set to give symmetrical throws at the low rate (no differential), I believe it has a nice axial roll, but will watch to see if differential will be desirable as flight time accumulates.

The rudder is terrific and very effective; enough said! I would have liked a bit more elevator surface area, but whatever at this price point, right?

Practicing for Saturday's contest this afternoon, I asked myself if I would fly a round with my new Ax 70 for keepers: Maybe. I am not used to how it looks in the air with the low wing and cannalizer and she gets real small real fast LOL. That said, once the CG is worked out and she is in good pitch trim, I could see flying the Ax 70 in a contest for those rounds when it is opportune to fly something other than a 2m. Will definitely go in the mix for back-up and just for fun and good looks! I recommend it if this is the kind of ride and price point you are looking for in a small pattern plane. Wonder what others are getting out of flying these, do tell. Cheers! Dana

Last edited by danamania; 04-28-2014 at 02:27 PM. Reason: UPDATE