RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 03:06 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ed,

We can disagree about whether or not it's a good idea, but you can't disagree with physics. Carbon fiber does in fact interfere with radio waves. That's why some radio manufacturers offer special receivers for use in CF fuselages. These have longer antennae which are routed outside the fuse.

In order to be a problem the CF needs to be directly in line with the receiver antenna and transmitter. That's not to say that some signal doesn't get through. It's OK to have bits of CF here and there in the plane, just like there are metallic objects in the plane. Some radio waves get bounced around inside the fuse and the satellite receivers prevent you from loosing signal when the plane is orientated such that the CF is directly in line with the main Rx and the Tx.

Obviously you've been getting away with it. I don't feel that it's a good idea to mount your main receiver on CF because you're diminishing the capability of your system. I prefer vinyl over plywood for my equipment trays since I also like the look of CF. I wish you the best of luck with your set up.

Regards,
Joe

Last edited by joeflyer; 04-27-2014 at 03:12 PM.