RCU Forums - View Single Post - T-6A Texan II 75-91 ARF build suggestions
Old 04-28-2014, 08:53 AM
myrcu99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking at the pile of trash that used to be my T-6A and have come up with a theory. EVERY control surface (ail, rud, ele) is totally separated from the plane. The CA hinges are not torn, they simply pulled out. I have assembled several ARF's where the CA hinges were not pre-glued, use 8-12 drops of CA per hinge, and have never had a problem until now. When I look at the trailing wing edge where the ailerons attach, there is just a piece of ~3/16" plywood so, although there is ~1/2" of hinge material, most of the hinge is not making contact with anything. And I wonder how well the CA soaks into plywood... not very well I'm guessing. So my theory is that the right aileron partially pulled out during the high-speed left banked turn and, because it was still attached to the servo, that caused the right aileron to point down and stay down. I was able to stop the roll, but by that time the plane was inverted and I was totally confused. Maybe a better pilot could have reacted better and saved it. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.