RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC Surfer
Thread: RC Surfer
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 05:17 AM
stalyoni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys Im from Sydney Australia and my name is Brendon. Beercave where abouts are you from mate? Im on the northern beaches in sydney

Hey Dom aka YPC (Im Brendon on facebook that has been liking your comments and chatting with you)

I thought I would drop in and see what you think of my new setup. Its been about a year since ive been on this forum.

I have a NQD clone called the bondi surfer girl. I stripped it out and put all my own stuff in it. I had it working last year but the first motor I had in it overheated and ceased. I replaced the motor but then had a problem with the shaft.

Heres a couple of videos of it when it was running last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ-AonEXKeE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxxacBbScLQ

you can read in the comments what I was using in it at the time.

Well I got it out the other day and dad put a new motor in it. Its using the stock shaft and stock prop. Im using a coupling from surfcurls to hook up the motor to the shaft. Dad made a custom motor mount for it. Im using a tacon brushless 2858 2618kv motor. We have some hardcase 2s 4000mah lipos on the way. These lipos will be easier to waterproof and should fit snugly in the surfer. I have a 120amp turnigy esc in it. We waterproofed the ESC with silicone. Its using a HTX900 servo for steering but its not working right so I have another 9 gram servo coming with metal gears and should work better. I have epoxied all the seems on the outside and sanded and grinded them down smooth. I have two inlet and two outlet cooling pipes made from brass and drilled through and epoxied into place.

My main question for you all is will this 2858 2618kv motor be ok on the 2s hardcase 4000mah lipos

Im just wondering if it will be quick enough to keep up with the waves? If not I can run some 3s lipos that I have already.

I plan to get it all going this weekend with dad. All the parts should come by friday. The problems I had with it before is that the speed of the 3s lipo made the stock shaft coupling to the motor fail. Also it made the first motor I had overheat. Im hoping with the slower kv motor and lower power lipos 2s it will run more stable.

Im going to use a HK300 hand controller which allows me to turn up or down the speed of the motor. It also allows me to trim up easily.

Would just like some feedback and maybe some ideas that I havent thought of yet to mod this surfer.

Thanks so much

Brendon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140426_171130[1].jpg
Views:	78
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	1991056  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140426_171204[1].jpg (2.42 MB, 15 views)