RCU Forums - View Single Post - *** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 07:24 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N410DC
It seems that most people have used mechanical retracts with the Ultra Sport. Has anyone tried to use the newer pneumatic or electric retracts? How do the newer systems compare, in regards to weight, cost, reliability, and ease of installation?
I used the Eflite electric retracts on my US 60 and have had no problems that were not corrected quickly by Horizon. One retract burned out on about the 6th flight. Since then I have had no problems. I don't believe they are that much heavier since you don't have the servo and linkage.

I used Robart struts on mine and if I had it to do over I would have just used the Eflites with the stock wire. The Robarts have both bent once requiring replacement.

The total cost was $247 for the Eflites + Robart struts. Not including the replacement struts I had to buy last summer which by then were $69 each.

I didn't want to use the stock wire that came with the Eflites when the first set of struts bent because I would have had to cut up the sheeting on the wing to fit the coil on the wire. If they ever bend again, the sheeting will get cut up.

All in all, I like the Eflites but I have grown to hate Robart and will probably never use Robart again.