RCU Forums - View Single Post - Engine input for contest
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 12:23 PM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MJD
To me the actual top speed is not the issue, is it what you do with the limits that defines the quality/skill of the entrants. Is it important to go as fast as the electrics, or is it more important to use engineering skills to make the best of what you have available (which seems more real world)? Curious.

I only say this because of the diverse assortment of .45-.46 size engines on the market, versus .55, which makes me wonder is is restrictive or counterproductive to bump to a displacement size that has fewer offerings in the marketplace.
Valid points!

No, we are actually wanting things to slow down in hopes it might attract more teams and also increase safety for inexperienced teams. The main reason for this question is that we are planning on requiring the planes to carry a payload that will add some drag and about a pound of weight and don't want the planes to get "slow". We also want an engine that is readily available to everyone.

Yes, it is supposed to be an optimization exercise for the students. we are in fact not that concerned about top speed other than the students that have been watching year after year get pretty excited about how fast the planes go.