RCU Forums - View Single Post - asp 91 stroke throwing the prop
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemhh53
hi.
I bought new my asp 91, installed it with a 14x8 prop. ran ok. second time ran for about a min and threw the prop. this is with a lock nut, the woodroffe key in place, exhaust ports ok, and a suitable spinner. this now happened three times. running on 10 per cent nitro, always been ok before. prop drive in good shape, we are all out of ideas here, any thoughts please.

mike
I don't know your specific procedures but here are some points of a long time model flier.

1.Any time a wood prop sets up for a couple days all tightened up, and you fail to tighten the shaft nuts, you have a very good chance of throwing a prop.
2. Non-wood props usually make it a bit longer before the prop comes undone.
3. Just yesterday, I went out and sent a Magnum .60 into the blue after said Magnum had been on the shelf a month+. Now I well know better than doing such without tightening the prop. Yep, prop, spinner and hardware are all somewhere on a 50 acre flying site. Whose fault? Saw him just today in the mirror! DUMMY!
4. Any spinner plate definitely needs a sandpaper disc between the thrust plate and any spinner plate. Without such, short flight and/or start-up.
5. Lots of things are not in the owner's manual.
6. Lock nuts will never replace the emery cloth (sandpaper) between the prop shaft driver and the spinner-back plate, along with keeping mind on what you need to do and/or setting up while B-Sing with the other fliers around you. Don't ask me why I say That!!!!