RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 06:44 PM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ToolJoint
Hey Folks,

the left lower wing tip broke off, the shop built rudder servo mount broke free, and the right horizontal stab cracked in a crummy factory glue joint.

All structural repairs have been completed and awaiting recovering, and they weren't too difficult, but I have a good deal of experience with kit building. Needless to say I was pretty sick over the incident, but I am confident in my repairs and happy to say she will be back soon. Great Planes has a great design with this one. Too bad it is out of production.

I look forward to many more flights with many less "dumb thumb" incidents.

FYI
TOWERHobbies Has the FUSE and the BOTTOM wing on CLOSEOUT.....
Get BOTH for 84$.....so about 40 $ for each part.... I already ordered the last set of ver/hor. stabs, bottom wing, and Fuse..... I may order a fuse and bottom wing anyway.....

Also... the reason for CRUMMY factory glue joints is: LASER cutting seals the wood! leaves funny curfs on plywood, and needs prep to be able to be CA'd..... but of course China doesn't because it is too time consuming....

I read you have built before....but I didn't realize that Laser cutting had so many Neg's to it....:" thought it was the cats ass".... but realize that CNC'd routing is TRUELY the way to go....

GP is now coming out with a small electric version of this plane....... HMM.....
I would really like to see a 30-50cc size version of this....THat would be cool... Or some other old BIPE in the 50cc size....
NO ONE HAS ANY..... It is a UN taped market.... in a very competitive field....you need to think outside the box...if you are going to survive...