RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 09:28 AM
ToolJoint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickVB
Hey TJ, thanks for the rundown on your (painful) first flight; sorry to hear about that. Just my opinion, but if I were you, from now on if I were the only one at your field, I would stand about 2 feet from that wind sock pole when flying.

Can you post some photos of your repairs, just so we can see what the uncovered framing looks like? By the way, what size is that three-blade prop? I flew an H9 Taylorcraft on a Saito 150 and a two-blade prop for a while; it was plenty aerobatic with great vertical capability, but on the other hand it was probably 2 or 3 pounds lighter.
Yes, yes indeed I should have "posted up" next to the stupid windsock...believe it or not, you are not the first to suggest this

Here are some pictures of the inside structures. I was pretty impressed with the quality of this thing. As you can see there are sheeted leading edges, a beautiful box spar, capped ribs, and webbed re-enforcements. Ram Bro is correct, the glue failure in the stab is the result of a weird kerf and improper glue penetration, though I saw no indication of laser cutting. More later, but I have to get to the field today to enjoy some awesome flying weather, instead of flying this computer. Best Regards Hawk pilots!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TIPII.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	1992142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horizontal Stab.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	1992143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower Leading Edge.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	1.81 MB