RCU Forums - View Single Post - soft aluminum for sale detailing
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 04:47 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wingstrut
Tom, That is exactly why I'm looking for the softer stuff, so I can do what you did.
Beautiful job, I like going the extra distance like you did, to make these planes look like they are supposed to.
I will check out the roof flashing, Thank you!

Thanks guys, these are all great ideas, I really appreciate the help, Thank you again, Sincerely, Ron
Ron, after re-reading your initial post, I may have mislead you. My cowl is fiberglass, with a Flite Metal-like product applied to it. This was my first time working with metal, and I wasnt comfortable in trying to make the cowl from aluminum, but I believe that it could be done.

I used a variety of tools on the flashing. Tin snips, of coarse. I used the handle end of an x-acto knife, wood dowels, Sharpie pen handles, etc. The aluminum was easy to work with. I think that you'll enjoy it.

I believe that I paid around $12.00 for the 6"X25' roll of flashing, so you wouldn't be out too much if you experiment with it, and then discard the idea.

The flashing can be used in many areas of our models. I used it to hide the joint between the fuselage and wings.

For a cowl, it may be a little easier to use a metal foil, instead of screwing metal to it. This was my first time using it, too. I found vids on You Tube that explained the process.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF3895.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	715.4 KB
ID:	1993229   Click image for larger version

Name:	mn.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	894.3 KB
ID:	1993230   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_006.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	755.2 KB