RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite Cessna 182 Building
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Jack McC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to all.

I have been following this thread for many months now and I love it!. I have been building my 182 since last fall and the discussions here have been invaluable. Wing is sheeted on bottom, tail feathers sheeted and ready for final sanding and assembly, fuze framed and almost ready for sheeting. I have the opportunity to buy a little used OS .91 Surpass and am concerned about the adequacy of this engine for this plane. I do tend to build a little heavy, although most of my experience has been building sailplanes ( Sailaire 12.5' wingspan weighs in @ 8.6 lbs.) which usually are built light. I will want to fly it scale, but perhaps some light aerobatics. Apparently this plane will come in around 12-16 lbs. Top Flite(Hobbico) and others think it will be fine, but I am still somewhat concerned that it isn't enough. One comment from this thread was that the .91 doesn't have enough power to get you out of trouble. I have been flying electric and this is my first venture into fuel so I need all the help I can get.

Comments welcomed,

Jack