RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fej sports jet
Thread: Fej sports jet
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 02:04 AM
philjac94

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So more flying today (still no video, but a lot of onlookers who can verify the flights)
With the repairs to the main door cylinder after the test flight the air system now hold air perfectly.
I removed the intermediate doors on the struts as these still hinder the mains going up due to the angle they face the air, even with a good air system the force required to overcome this isnt up to the task, especially with sequenced doors, by the time gear is ready to go up, the aircraft speed is fast enough to stop the gear. With these doors Removed, the gear goes up nicely. Nose door needs a bit of work, the standard nylon offset hinges do not allow enough clearance for the upcoming wheel, well they do on the ground but it doesnt take much in the air to close the door enough to interfere on the fork. I plan to remove the existing hinges in favor of Robart aluminium offset hinges, these give a nice big offset, while at it i will replace the door strut with a bigger Robart cylinder just to ensure its operation.

Flying wise its a beauty, it doesnt look overly fast but still manages to cover a lot of ground in very little time. At half throttle the 170 provides a comfortable flying speed given the size of this jet. You do tend to fly it further away which makes you forget about its actual size. So far i cannot fault it, other than needing a few degrees of differential to clean up the slight barrelling during a roll, most would not worry, but my preference is a very axial roll.
The gentle landing of the test flight was duplicated again today, beginning to wonder if struts are really necessary on this jet

So with a little bit of rework to do on the nose door, there is nothing much else to do other than get some video of it flying.