RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 01:27 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by taildragger1589
Regular wear is low on my list of engine mortality causes.
My biggest cause of engine failure is rapid deceleration.
But if I get lucky, I'll be able to let you know how it goes.

Nick

My FA-150 will be on it's 3rd airframe the next time it takes to the air. The 1st went straight in @ WOT from a split "S" that was attempted with "insufficient altitude". Buried the entire engine block/jug in the still soft Southern Indiana spring clay. The only thing sticking out of the ground was the muffler.

I promptly grasped the muffler W/my bare hand to pull it from the earth. I soon thought better of that choice & opted to let go of the item!

The only parts of that engine that aren't still serviceable are the original crank bearings, lifters & the "Fire Hose Nozzle" that was randomly jettisoned, @ altitude, over an early August corn field.

A big block Saito single can take a lot of crash abuse & still keep on tickin'! So can the CDI as the only thing from the original 1997 build C&H-Electronics Snychrospark system, which by the way has also survived the same crashes, that needs replacement is a high tension spark plug lead that was damaged by abrasion inside the cowl. It still functions but it's pretty "tatty" looking