RCU Forums - View Single Post - Vailly Aviation Hawker Hurricane Build Thread
Old 05-11-2014, 08:43 AM
Sandy69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dubs1946
Hi i am glad this has come to life again.
On building a new wing for Stans aircraft i found the wing incidence set on the old fuselage +2 degrees as the plan as my previous post.
I have set the new wing at zero and the stab at 1.5.
I am leaving the stab at 1.5 as it has little bearing on the way the aircraft will fly but on checking the original fuselage firewall with my new engine in i found there had been a mistake, this is the original fuselage as only the wing was wrecked, the firewall was +4 degrees that is the nose was pointing down by 4 degrees so i can understand why it was a pig to land the wing with the original +2 degrees and the original engine at +4 degrees makes it a grand total of down thrust of +6 degrees not a good idea for nice landings.
The engine i have put in is a 3W85 and i have left in 2 degrees of down thrust.
On checking the plan for the cg i found that the cg is set at 120 mm from the leading edge of the middle of the wing.
If you look at the plan the wheel axles are set 30mm in from the leading edge.
The cg at 120mm and the axels at 30mm make a difference of 90 mm that is far to far apart thats 6 inches in the old money.
That would put to much weight on on the tail when landing so as the wheels touch down the tail would drop and make the aircraft bounce. I have moved the axles back o 60mm from the front of the wing.
Dave.
Hey Dave, I guess in my seniority I'm missing something here...if wing incidence is +2 degrees and firewall is +4 that's 6 degrees up incidence isn't it (engine would be pointing up)? But if the wing is +2 and the firewall is pointing down then that's 4 degrees negative for a net of 2 degrees down...... I'm likely wrong but my mind isn't finding it.....

Sandy