RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 07:12 AM
ToolJoint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick, that guy sporting the genuine silk scarf may need to blow his nose several times per sortie, plus he needs to "look cool for the babes (or Barb's)" on the low fly-bys. Yes, I fly the RDS 8000 which has proven to be rock solid, and as Lancaster stated, super easy to set up and never so much as a hick-up. I do however, wish there was expo on the rudder. It doesn't seem to be a factor on The Hawk, and definitely not on the Camel which requires swift and judicious use of rudder. I also fly a 50CC Revolver though, and the rudder on that thing is super touchy, so some of my takeoffs and passes look a little "troutish" if you get what I'm saying. My flying buddies say that is a lack of skill, and after smacking the pole with the Hawk, I would be hard pressed to refute that, for a while anyway.
Rick, that's quite a radio there...We fly with an older gent here who uses nothing but old Kraft radio sets that look pretty similar to that. He even has a 2.4 conversion in one. So, he has a single stick for elevator and aileron with a knob on top as in the example shown, for rudder. Then, he holds it like a baby in his left arm and controls the throttle with what looks like a slider switch on the right side of the transmitter with the fingers of his left hand. Here's the thing...he is a brilliant man, very successful, and that success is evident by the vast array of huge and beautiful aircraft he has brought to the field and fly-ins. Beautiful radial engines, gas and glow....awe inspiring warbirds and civilian kit-builts and ARFs. The first time I saw him fly, I helped him assemble a monstrous scratch built Ford Trimotor with 3 Saito 91 three cylinder radials. He told me had a machine shop in his work shop and designed a tool to fab the thin, corrugated aluminum skin in which it was covered. Truly a masterpiece of art and engineering. After we spent about 30 minutes coaxing all of the Saito's into running on his home-brew fuel ("Why that's pure idiocy to pay for that fuel, when it's so easy to make your own" ...another story and likely contribution to constant flame outs, seized engines and forced landings) he took her to the sky, and promptly returned it to earth in its new form of fuel soaked matchsticks, torn aluminum, shards, and wiring. After seeing the same thing happen to a Giant TopFlite Corsair, P-47, AeorWorks C-195, Stinson SR-9, B-25 - twin G20's on that jewel, a giant T-6 (see video), and a few other aborted takeoffs, crowd scattering erratic swerving, and various crashes, I asked about his radio systems. I foolishly pointed out that there have been some wonderful advancements in radio technology in the last few year and that there is some really good stuff being put out by Spectrum, Futaba, HiTec, and Airtronics that works really well. He became quite cross with me and told me nothing flies like a Kraft, and I should just mind my own beeswax when it comes to radios. Indeed, I have seen that nothing flies like a Kraft. It is pretty fun minding my own business actually. Different strokes, I guess.

Happy Flying
http://youtu.be/0usZHoINm0c

Last edited by ToolJoint; 05-13-2014 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Added video