RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lauterbach build.......
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 02:11 AM
zen40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corky051
Zen, The air intake ducts, and the airbox, which will provide cool outside air directly to the carb, will work quite well. Closing the sponsons to keep them dry-another good investment. The positive flotation looks adequate. About the strut- The fitting is for lube. suggest before each run, or often. Also about the strut, and the diagram- I would agree with what Madanna has suggested about reaming or drilling the strut,( my method also) so that the brass 5/16 dia. tube goes all the way thru with a replaceable bearing tube inside. Per your diagram; It will work- but only for a short time. Driveline vibration is a big enemy. Even with constant diligence and lubrication. the (factory) bushing wears quickly- typically caused by even slightly out of balance propellers. The resulting vibration threatens the entire driveline to loss or damage. The replaceable tube bearings last a long time and inexpensive to replace- much cheaper than a new stuffing tube, broken/damaged flex cable, new strut, etc. The importance of a well balanced propellor becomes obvious. Two other options for securing the wandering flex cable tube- Near the front opening of the inner and outer tubes. Clamping collar device- similiar to the shaft saver collar, but made to fit the area on the outer tube. Another method; also at the front of the tubes, Add a small (3mm) hole thru only the outer tube. lightly solder one tube to the other thru the hole. Prevents movement, and easily un-soldered for...
Great advise, I have seen the replaceable bushes you mention. I like the idea of a drop of solder, I was thinking a small band of epoxi as this when heated lets go pretty easy, maybe a small bead of silicon sealer as this can be simply cut with a scapel.
cheers