RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on my temperatures and possibly suitable ESC and motor.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:32 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Next edition
Ive used the mamba monster(tork version)2200kv-hobbywing 2250 but the toro 42/75 2000kv x8st sensored motor I used was the best it has a fan inside the motor on its endbell and ran way cooler and grunt that seem like it never ended on rctech youll see alot of guys praising them and even rating them more than there previous tekin and castle motors,its kinda ironic how they look like the turnigy ones though maybe the guts tell a different story(4 pole 12 slot sintered rotor etc)that was on a xerun 150a esc for 2yrs running nothing but 6s.
The internals tell the story with brushless motors. Btw it's not the rotor that's slotted and sintered. It actually refers to pieces of sintered iron wrapped in the windings of the stator that amplify the magnetic field generated when power is applied to the windings. Slots refers to how many pieces of iron are in the stator. When you open up a motor and remove the rotor you can actually see them and the "slots". I haven't kept up with the various motors on Hobbyking. Their descriptions don't always tell the whole story and users are generally fairly new who rave about them until they burn up. There's also lots of stories similar to the one above where temps are too high. It is nice to see them advancing and getting better though.

Originally Posted by Northern Mike
One thing I can say from experiences, if you go big power, expect to wear parts quickly.
I was running a 1600w leopard motor in my rustler and most of the thing pins are bent, pin mounts sloppy, and changed drive shafts like underwear.
The last time I ran my rustler, you could see the rear rpm suspension arms flex and rear wheels wobble when I cracked the throttle.
Umm, of course a Rustler on 4s is going to wear and break stuff pretty quick! 1/8 buggies are a lot tougher though and the amount of extra wear is hardly noticed. Besides 4074 or even 4085 on 4s isn't exactly big power, it's actually the "standard" 1/8 power level. I ran my LX1e on mostly 5s, some 6s with a Castle 1518 (4282 1800kv) geared for almost 60mph for years. I went through god only knows how many tires and never broke a single drivetrain part or had excessive wear. I would inspect the diffs and refill but never had to reshim them at all either and the LX gears aren't as good as most other 1/8 buggy diffs. The OP should get the aluminum rear bearing/diff insert for his 8ight if it doesn't already have them though, then it's ready for just about anything you can throw at it.