RCU Forums - View Single Post - BUSA Fokker DVII
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2014, 05:39 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by R/C Ray
Just got back from the Spring Rhinebeck Fun Fly. I got in three flights with my D7, until my solder joints failed again. Talking with the other flyers I got different feedback. First, has anyone heard of a chronic vibration problem with the DL 50? I have problems with the solder joints on the wing struts. The machine guns also are taking a beating (mounts breaking etc). I was thinking about some sort of vibration mount for the engine

I have a DL 50 in a 1/5th Mig 3, I have never had any serious vibration with it, at least any more than I generally experience with big gassers. Which solder joints? There are a lot of them. The key is to use the expensive silver solder. I have never had one of those joints break. And in spite of what they say in the instructions, you need a torch. One of those little ones that runs on butane. They are like $30 at the depot.
The keys to a good solder joint, scuff sand the parts, clean them with a solvent like alcohol or lacquer thinner, Use flux, and most importantly, melt the solder with the heated parts, not the torch or iron itself! This is the reason why you need a torch. You have to get the parts really hot, then you could switch to your heavy duty weller soldering gun to maintain the heat. This is particularly important on the landing gear. You may be able to just use a good gun on the solder tabs for the wing mounts, but I always reach for the torch.

I suppose another thing to do is make sure your props are balanced very well, and make sure your engine is tuned properly. If it is Rich, it will shake. Another lesson to learn about the Gassers. They need to be leaned in to run properly. Well, just like a glow engine really.