RCU Forums - View Single Post - Spiral slip Stream is it real ?
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorTomski
Hi, just thought I'd freshen up an old thread.

Anyone see any evidence of a spiral to this slipstream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thKg...layer_embedded

Thanks
Great show there Maj. Tomski. I don't wish to get into the organizational portion of the subject. I just remember that rejoining up in the sky was much more rough than being in formation position, even when flying the slot. Holding onto a boom for refueling behind the KC-97 (prop job for you youngsters) was a real attention getter especially in the B-47!
When sliding into position in a banked C-123 (2-P&W R-2800s) it could get pretty shaky, especially when flying co-pilot for some old WW II or Korean recall that had never flown any formation to speak of. Was it prop stuff or just something else? Beats 'ELL out of me! To be proper, those old guys (I'm one real old guy now) quickly adjusted to letting us formation trained troops help them and they did learn fast.

For the younger crowd: Theory is great. Take it and use it. OTOH don't let theory overshadow your butt! When I was young, and knew it all, an old guy told me one day, "It isn't what you don't know that will hurt you nearly as much as that which you know for certain that ain't so."