RCU Forums - View Single Post - OS 33GT Gasoline Engine for Pattern
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 08:29 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maustin
Update: attached pics show we're about ready to go. Waiting on a battery and recommended prop. Installation was not as bad as thought it would be. Just different being gas with the standoffs and linkages. Mount has passed test runs so not worried. I'll update again once flown a few times. Should be cool to compare the gas motor vrs the YS 160 originally installed & flown in the plane.

Mike
Looks like good progress. The 33 puts out about similar power to the YS175. It actually puts out more top end (which we never use) on the same props...but it's the mid range that will surprise you. You simply point the nose and add throttle for effortless verticals.

BTW- The early props I used during break in were 18.5 x 9.5 wide blade (I had one so I used it) and then the 19x11. I quickly (within a couple gallons) switched to the 20x10.5 PN apc and that has been a terrific match. Most recently my hand carved 20 1/4x 12 Narrow blade has been working very similar to the apc. Same noise footprint and similar thrust output per throttle setting. But this wood-carbon composite is only 77 grams, shaving 3 ounces from the nose.

Just completed a 22x10 Narrow Blade wood-carbon hybrid for the YS185. We will see how the 185 performs on that prop. We are looking for 7000 rpm which should be doable. I don't think the 33 will turn this much lumber so I won't even try it right now. Maybe later