RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ignition Switch / Choke Servo Mixed to same Switch. Bad idea?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Generally speaking, in my half-vast experience of 4 decades, I have found that "good" ideas are those that meet broad acceptance because they are things that don't create problems. The "bad" ideas seem to be those that wreck airframes or damage stuff, hence they get labeled "bad".

One of the "good" ideas that came along once upon a time after programmable radios was the suggestion by a wise and skillful builder/flyer who strongly suggested that I "make all my transmitter setups the same as for switches, functions, directions of "on"/"off", etc. because he rationalized that in a "panic" or stressed-out situation I may "forget" which way something is setup, or worse, which way "off" is....or "up", or "kill", or (fill in the blank).

I ignored him and on my first build after, I programmed flaps where retracts were (or ignition kill, I can't remember), had a in-flight "crisis", and sure enough flipped the wrong switch the wrong way and make a really ugly mess of a lovely expensive gas large scale airplane. It was a hard way to learn that the sage old gentleman was wise in his counsel, and I was foolhardy for disregarding it.

To each their own, as their mood, preferences, and experience dictates, but I sure learned that my mental capacity wasn't sharp enough to remember different switch configuration from one plane to another, particularly as the hangar grew and I was fortunate enough to have several airplanes.

My suggestion to everyone these days is this - make it easy for YOU, always.