RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ignition Switch / Choke Servo Mixed to same Switch. Bad idea?
Old 05-22-2014, 06:23 PM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob - I agree with you that having a standard way of doing things is very important. However, I apparently have been for years using all my switches backward from the norm. That didn't matter until I wanted help with my helis and the heli guys kept telling me my switches worked backward. Since I was new to helis I decided to go with their way of doing things before it became a habit for me.

But as far as things go I try to always have the same things work the same way so I don't have to remember more than necessary. Slide switches are always off toward the front of the plane. Push/Pull switches are always push on so if it gets bumped the radio isn't turned off. Worse thing that can happen is I bump it at home and drain the batteries.

Anyway, I have a lot of things I do like that. I think it's really important.

This plane, for example, has a lot of turnbuckles. I set every one of them up so the standard thread was on the servo and the left-hand thread was the other end. The tail bracing and cabane bracing is also turnbuckle and I set the standard thread on the fuselage and fin and the left-hand on the stabilizer.

Any time something new like that comes up I try to think ahead and make a rule on the spot. Sometimes I'll find once I start using the thing for the first time the rule is backward and I'll go back and change everything so it's right instead of having to make everything in the future wrong to meet the same standard.

========================

All Day Dan - It's an rcexl switch: http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/r...-with-bec.html

========================

Truckracer - Sorry if I didn't express your point accurately. I was just trying to say that it seemed people had good reason to use other setups than my idea other than just not liking different ideas.

========================

acerc - When I don't fly a plane for a while I can't remember anything about it. I was trying to take off one of my stiks one time with my ailerons reflexed. All I could do was high speed runs down the field. The reflex wasn't much and I couldn't see it from where I was. I have a small notebook that holds half-size sheets of paper that I use for a lot of shop stuff. I think I'm going to get another one for my planes and start keeping details of each plane so I know what all the settings are and just as important WHY they are. Half the time when I figure out what a setting is I don't remember what I used it for.