RCU Forums - View Single Post - Diesel Noob with KMD Question
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 07:50 PM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyMo
Qazimoto:

Yes, it is the standard ABC fuel. Perhaps I'll just cut out the extra measure of castor oil I put in it for break-in, and use the fuel as-is.

1) It's turning anti-clockwise OK. Lots of air out the back!
2) The liner lines up the way it was installed at the factory. This engine comes with a liner retention screw in the head, and I don't think the cylinder could be attached to the crankcase unless the screw and the indent in the liner match up correctly.

The engine also has a great feel when turned over due to that piston/liner seal that you mentioned. If I can't get any more snuff out of it, I'm still happy to own it and will have it in the air sometime this summer (here).

Thanks for your insight.

Dave...
Well I found some pics. This is the best one. I think that it did require a bit of run-in time but it wasn't excessively tight to begin with.

I believe that the Davis ABC fuel has about 12% synthetic oil. I'm just not sure how that will affect the KMD, but Bob's ran happily on his normal fuel of 20% Castor, 30% ether, 50% kero with an additional 1% Amsoil on to of all that. Additional castor in the Davis fuel shouldn't hurt, but I just can't see that holding the engine back 10K rpm on the 7x4. Running it on the low oil fuel won't hurt too much because that's what it was designed for.

The Master prop is fast for that size as well.

How big is the venturi hole? A very very small hole, or obstructed venturi could hold it back.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kmd001.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1998007  

Last edited by qazimoto; 05-24-2014 at 07:54 PM.