RCU Forums - View Single Post - Black Horse Pitts
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 11:53 AM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok gents......Happy Memorial day! Went out to the field today....wind was blowing about 20 knots which sucked, but down the runway which is a Pitts drivers dream......so I fueled up and with the help of my wife we taxied out and I put the power to my little "Red Devil" and I felt like I was flying my old full scale Pitts as she screamed to life and was air born like a home sick angel! Climbed out like a rocket ship and turned left into the down wind and climbed up to about 2 mistakes high (always worried about engine failure) I noticed I needed ZERO trim! She felt good so I gave her full aileron to the right ....rolled right.....then full left and she rolled left like she was on rails!!! Did some easy loops.....then some snaps at the top and I was in hog heaven....she is a SCALE FLYING PITTS S-1! My Zenoah was screaming much like a Lycoming at 3000 RPM with a fixed pitch prop. Did some airwork....full stalls upright....no wing drop.....full stalls inverted.....no wing drop.......good! Upright spins right and left....recovery is within 1/2 turn and hands off....same as inverted spins left and right.....did some upright flat and recovery was quick with no bad habits! Also I noticed very little forward stick inverted level flight and no trim needed on a 45 upline roll to inverted she stays put. P-E-R-F-E-C-T.....one happy pitts guy!

Couple of low passes......it sure is windy and bumpy but my little Pitts was screaming around the pattern! Set up for a short final and got lucky with a nice full stall landing and short rollout! Nice!

Again for those of you following my short build thread...I chose a Zenoah G-26 and was rewarded with PERFECT C/G I added no weight and didn't need to shift anything...also not standoffs were needed as the Zenoah is 139mm from backplate to prop plate. Perfect combo very scale and not overpowered....most of my flight was at 30% power.

CG.....again seems a lot of heated debate on this one...but the full scale Pitts is balanced at the LEADING EDGE OF THE BOTTOM WING do not balance her upside down or at 70mm as called for in the manual....I ended up with my C/G right at the leading edge of the bottom wing and she is perfect.

Scale airplane (not a light weight 3D ship) but a very good looking SCALE pitt S-1S. Kit was a little cheap as far as hardware......covering and color is dead on......pilot could be a little bigger, the wheel pant installation is no good.....way too many screws, bolts, washers, nylon bolts, wing tubes....to take apart and put back together! I will leave her assembled as she fits into the Yukon no problem.

Overall a fun project...I wonder if these can be bought anymore (might want another kit to put in the closet!)

P.S....the first pic was with my new UMX Pitts S-1S which is an awesome little plane!

Pics.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7149.JPG
Views:	1197
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	1998561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7170.JPG
Views:	1267
Size:	3.13 MB
ID:	1998562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7160.JPG
Views:	1256