RCU Forums - View Single Post - CG check
Thread: CG check
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 06:20 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG check

I've been thinking about this (probably my problem )

I know of the following methods to check CG: inverted 45 climb under power and watch nose, 'near vertical' bank and watch nose, and calculate based on MAC.

Right now my Integral has a little 'up' elevator trimmed in for straight and level. I feel like that would counter what is really going on in the inverted 45 - naturally I will drop the nose since the tail is pushing the nose down when inverted. I don't really understand/believe the 'near vertical' bank since everything aft of the CG during KE flight is basically a wing - why wouldn't the nose drop first?

Anyway, I want to understand this so I can make the right change and make it once. I get a pull to canopy in verticals, 45's, and KE and it seems the amount of correction needed is pretty darn close to the amount of elevator trim I'm carrying. I'm thinking I could use a little more wing attack but want to be confident in my CG location and method before making any changes.

For reference: electric Integral ~4800g, setup (-0.5), (+0.5), (0), CG started at 170 (front of wing tube, now moved back to center of tube). I like a fairly neutral feel during the inverted 45 but moving my batteries back isn't changing it all that much. (Edit: Also I get zero change in pitch when I chop throttle from high power).

Thanks for reading and your suggestions! This plane flies pretty nice already and it will be incredible if I don't need to chase the trim all over the place.

Last edited by Jetdesign; 05-28-2014 at 07:19 PM.