RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nodd's Great Planes Spectra
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 01:50 AM
davevh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting mods on your Spectra, your covering job looks first class!
Really like the airbrakes, I never knew you could buy electric ones like that.

I thought I would post two pics of my electrified Gentle Lady I finished last year since you mentioned having one of the birds back yonder in time (I also had a pure gentle lady in my youth, first bungie flight on it was knee-knocking).

The wing root pic shows a very similar brass rod mod to yours, though I extended it through three ribs and re-enforced with some fibreglass tape. Tube is epoxied to the original lite ply central spar doubler. I then have another brass inner tube with a plywood dowel epoxied inside that one which acts as the removable joining spar (I could not get a carbon spar of the right diameter to fit, and here in South Africa materials are very limited). Wing is held on with two front dowels, and two rear nylon bolts. Magnetic hatch.
So far, after about several dozen flights, the wing has not shown any signs of folding or problems with this joiner system. I did a very sharp pull up the other day which put a lot of stress on the airframe (I cringed thinking the wing may break) but all was good. Without the inner dowel for the joiner rod, it bent on the second flight. Since that mod, no bending at all.

I made removable tail feathers which are held on with three tiny nuts. Power is a Eflite Park 480, 2200mAh Lipo under the wing, 40A speed control. AUW is 38 ounces.
Its a little fat compared to a pure sailplane, but man this thing does not want to come down and floats like, well like a Gentle Lady. Wish I had air brakes like yours. Extra weight helps a little in wind though..
Color scheme is nice on the ground, but in hindsight I probably should have gone with something more visible high up.

Good luck on the maiden, I am sure she will be great!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gentle Lady Electrified.JPG
Views:	2037
Size:	907.3 KB
ID:	2000801   Click image for larger version

Name:	GL Wing root.jpg
Views:	1609
Size:	452.4 KB
ID:	2000802  

Last edited by davevh; 06-03-2014 at 01:58 AM.