RCU Forums - View Single Post - Help with great planes cap 580??
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

They probably recommend the SSL 60 which is what I used. It does not have a BEC so if you use it a separate airborne battery is required, If you have a Castle in that range it will work fine too.

I'm not a Castle fan as I used one of their 45A Esc with a Rimfire .32 in the slightly smaller CAP 580 Eagle on 4S. Motor would chatter at start up and pulse at half throttle. Discussed issue at Castle booth at AMA trade show. They said it was a motor timing issue and to discuss it with Great Planes at their booth. At home tried different timing per both suggestions, same issue. Telephoned Castle, rep said its the motor, can"t help you. Telephoned Great Planes, they offered to send one of their SS45A Esc to try. Worked perfect, they told me to keep it.

It's not the Castle product as they are used successfully in a wide range of products, it was the attitude that bothered me. I've been in R/C since 1966 so know a little about what I am doing. It was the brush off that ended my interest in them.

Being in electrics since brushed motor days I have learned success comes easier by using matched products from the same manufacturer. No issues since.

By the way the 32 size Eagle on 4S had unlimited performance including 3D. Your Eagle is only about 10-15% larger so with the 80 should be a monster!