RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where are all the pure glider pilots - seems all the posts are for electric
Old 06-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed,
I believe I responded to a similar thread a while ago. Anyhow, I fly both E-sailplanes and pure "gliders" in my fleet. I've "electrified" a Gentle Lady built from RCM plans in the early 1980's using a very old Astro can motor and 6S 800 mAh Nicds. The motor was mounted on a pylon atop the wing with the battery underneath-no change in CG with this setup. I believe Keth Shaw, electic guru, did a writeup on this conversion for RCM many years ago. I then built an "Electricus" from Larry Jolly's plans with an Astro Cobalt 05 direct drive motor. Flew this combo in several E-sailplane events in lower Michigan when I lived there. For "pure"gliders" I built Leon Kinkaid's Scooter 2M for high starting and winching. Also built an Airtronic "Questor" for slope and original HL- before discus launching was discovered. Currently have a "Gem" and "Blizzard" hotliners which I enjoy flying very much-sort of a cross between soaring and high performance RC. The E-soaring is dictated by my flying site, which is dominated by glow/gas/electric power models. Occassionally I'll sneak out early or late and set out a high start for "pure" RC soaring.
PS: I also fly turbine jets which is my first (current) love, but flown at a full scale airport with long paved runways.
Rgds,
Art ARRO