RCU Forums - View Single Post - Folding Prop ???
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 07:33 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup I am sure its been done as there seldom in all of aviation anything that has not been done before.

All that da Rock and j.duncker has mentioned I believe is quite accurate and important but I just wanted to expand a bit on why a reciprocating engine is so much harder on propellors. It is not because of any additional centrifical force that most speculate on but instead it is the pounding a prop takes in the direction of rotation from the power pulses that all reciprocating engines produce. Single cylinder four strokes are hardest of all on props and it is why they often need double nutting to avoid loosing propellors clear off the prop shaft. Electric motors and turbo props exhibit zero pounding in this plain of rotation therefore the prop can be built lighter. You can see this in most electric props where the blade shank area just outside the hub is greatly reduced in chord to save weight.

It is this reduced blade shank that is reduced in chord that may not be strong enough to the torsional beating of a recip. So as already stated if you experiment choose propellors that have the widest blade shank and hinge you can find and for heavens sake keep your body and especially your face out of the tip path plain of the prop at all times, even for just a quick test.

John