RCU Forums - View Single Post - Duties and Responsibilities
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 07:51 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by koastrc
I have a open question. What can the AMA do as a National Organization to help more qualified people to take up the role as instructors. Our club for example has a fly-in to promote the hobby. We are over whelmed with people wanting to learn and there is not enough people to help. There has been AMA efforts in the past to promote the sport/hobby, but at times seem disjointed. I do understand most of the efforts to help folks into the hobby are the local clubs responsibility, but I think the AMA could do something to help in a positive way.
I was recognized at the District level for my efforts as a instructor and the club members were thrilled for me. A couple of members took up instructing after that award. I know of nothing like that on the National level. Instructing as you know has it's problems and with little or no real reward other than a bit of self satisfaction.
What are your thoughts?
Good Questions, koastrc. In my opinion/s AMA leaves that definitely to the clubs. AMA has web pages to how an Instructor should be trained and accepted. I doubt that 80% of "Instructors" could fly these maneuvers. I am an "Old Fart" yet I am willing to give of my remaining time to try to bring the Ex. Committee into a real working unit and demanding answers from management. I have never witnessed any club that uses AMA's definition of an instructor as AMA has written. I belong to 3 Clubs, and none ever try to get the "Instructors" to comply with these rules. When the Intro Pilot Instructor thing first started, IIRC, it was 2 to a club, then 5, and now everyone that can fly anything can be an INSTRUCTOR. IMO that means, "Club you take care of your instructor, we got other things to do." My AMA Card says that I am an Introductory Pilot Instructor, yet who isn't?

Way back in the early '80s as a District VP I founded a District Competition Fun Fly which clubs competed in the states, then winners went for a District Championship. It was very successful as long as I funded the awards, got certain clubs to be hosts, etc. etc. Once I resigned from being a DVP, the program sunk like the Titanic. Same as the Instructor Training I founded when I was a DVP. It was to be accomplished and completed by each DVP. It was a true training project, mostly for safety. When I left the EC, so did that program for the DVPs. What does AMA now have? IMO, - GARBAGE!
Back then AMA was a very small group, but now look at the "growth". Many employees, each into a certain duty and where or what are the accomplishments? So those are my thoughts, koastrc,and here I write a book and in no way do I answer your question. Heck, I'm ready for Congress!

Last edited by Hossfly; 06-17-2014 at 07:54 AM.